Wednesday, July 14, 2010

1991 – Morrissey – Santa Monica Civic Auditorium

1991 11.04 Morrissey Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
This was a fan show.  There was a Morrissey concert a few days before this one at UCLA where a bunch of people were hurt because Morrissey invited fans to come to the front of the stage.  The show was shut down due to the injuries.  Because Morrissey felt bad, this show was arranged.  Cathy and Bianca and I braved the rabid Morrissey fans and went to this one!  Flyers were handed out while we were in line asking everyone to be safe and behave and sorry about the cancellation at UCLA.   More people were hurt at this show.  People want to be near him, throwing flowers at him. 
Setlist:
  1. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
  2. The Loop
  3. King Leer
  4. Sister I'm A Poet
  5. Pashernate Love
  6. Piccadilly Palare
  7. Trash (New York Dolls cover)
  8. My Love Life
  9. November Spawned A Monster
  10. Alsatian Cousin
  11. Everyday Is Like Sunday
  12. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
  13. Asian Rut
  14. Driving Your Girlfriend Home
  15. Suedehead
  16. Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
  17. Encore:
  18. That's Entertainment (The Jam cover)
  19. Encore 2:
  20. Disappointed
A great show in a small venue.  I can only think that this is what it must have been like in those classic shows you see photos from or recordings of from England.   KROQ did release a cassette of three songs that Morrissey played on air with them as a kind of treat for the fans who were hurt or didn't get to see him.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you remember all of these details. All I remember is that it was on my Birthday in the city where I was born and I think i was turning 25?

    ReplyDelete