Wednesday, November 10, 2010

1993 - Pearl Jam - Empire Polo Club

This was an epic show.  Was supposed to be in LA but PJ were having their war with Ticketmaster and so they refused to do a show there.  This venue is now home to Coachella.  This place is a two + hour drive from LA and is south of Palm Springs.  It was a beautiful day for a concert.  Pleasant temps and a full moon. I will really never forget it.  Mom drove us.  She loved the show.  For some reason she liked Pearl Jam.  Bianca was passing out stickers and stuff.  This was the start of her band promo jobs!  11 was the opening act.  
This show became legendary for the tirade that Eddie Vedder threw because of the shoe throwing.  It was pretty bad.  People were pelting the bands with shoes and anything else they could find.  Eddie Vedder threatened to wait at the gate and kick the shit out of whoever was barefoot.  They got spit on, Eddie sarcastically asked for that though .  They finished the show playing behind their amps to keep away from the shoes.  Don't know what triggered all the rowdiness but it started in the lines before the show even began.   I will never forget the enormous full moon rising behind Pearl Jam as they played Indifference.  His voice echoing across the polo grounds was amazing. 

Set List:
Release
Go
Animal
Why Go
Deep
Jeremy
Glorified G
Daughter
Alive
Rearviewmirror
Improv (Thank You)
Blood
Rats
Once
Porch (Tearing)
Fuck Me in The Brain
Encore 1
Sonic Reducer
Even Flow
Indifference
Baba O'Riley       

5 comments:

  1. Isnt this the show where Neil Young played that once song like 7 times in a row??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Not the right show. That was our first trip to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being towards the front, in the middle of the sea of people, not being able to move because we were so tightly packed together. When the sea started to move, you couldn't fight it, you had to move with it or you'd be sucked under then trampled on. I saw this happen to a few people. I hope they got up and were alright. I remember just lifting my feet off the ground kinda floating as the crowd moved. Getting out of the crowd to the back to get some fresh air was an ordeal. I must have taken half an hour to maneuver through the crowd to escape to open air. Anyways, I'll never forget that concert. Pearl Jam was awesome, Eddie Vedder was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was one of the girls that got trampled. Lol dislocated my knee and had to be carried from the front stage area to the first aid tents. It was my first concert I was only 15. Our ride couldn't get in because the road was blocked from incoming traffic and I remember having to hitch hike out of there. It was a wild first concert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was one of the girls that got trampled. Lol dislocated my knee and had to be carried from the front stage area to the first aid tents. It was my first concert I was only 15. Our ride couldn't get in because the road was blocked from incoming traffic and I remember having to hitch hike out of there. It was a wild first concert!!!

    ReplyDelete