Monday, April 19, 2010

My Concerts a story....

This is my life in concerts. Unfortunately, I don't remember some of the details about the shows and was hoping you, my friends, could help me remember the great shows. Just leave comments and keep the threads going and let’s hope we can relive some wonderful times. If you saw the show in another city please write your thoughts too! We would love to read them.  The list won't always be chronological.  It will at the beginning but will become more random as I find ticket stubs.

Of course there are concerts I wish I had the ticket stubs to;

My first concert was The Doors at the Hollywood Bowl on July 5, 1968. Wish I remembered it. I have seen the film so many times that it has become my memory.

I saw Three Dog Night and Eric Burdon and the Animals and Steppenwolf at the Long Beach Arena who knows when!

My sister took me to a local park rec room to watch her boyfriend’s band, The Zeke's. I just found their 7" the other day.

I went through a real nostalgic phase that has lasted my lifetime with my love of Frank Sinatra. I had the pleasure of seeing him three times. At the Universal Amphitheatre with Sarah Vaughn. When the Amphitheatre was outdoors. No roof! In 1975, all I wanted for my sixteenth birthday was to see Frank Sinatra. He played Caesars Palace. We had to go to the early dinner show because I was underage. The lights were dimmed, Frank had finished a song and the waiters were bringing out my birthday cake. He could see it from the stage and sang Happy Birthday to me! This is one of my most cherished memories. He played a charity event for the Long Beach Police Department in 1976. This was a big deal. A number of policemen had been killed in a very short time and Frank owned a distributing company that was based in Long Beach so he arranged to play a benefit show for the widows. It was fantastic!

Check out the entrees names!





I got to see the Jackson Five at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. Janet was a little girl and this was one of her first public appearances outside of the TV show. I have the dinner menu/program and will scan it as soon as I relocate it.  Updated 05/09/10 - found them!  Enjoy.


I saw Earth Wind and Fire numerous times in the 70's. Phillip Bailey has one amazing voice! But, this was an extension of my love of soul. I saw Diana Ross in Las Vegas and L.A. probably a half a dozen times. This was during and after her Lady Sings the Blues period. I loved The Temptations and saw them at a small venue during this time too.

I spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and the Bahamas during the 70's and really developed a love for reggae. I had the pleasure of seeing Bob Marley three times. I don't have the ticket stubs but I do have some blurry photos I took at the Starlight Bowl in Burbank on July 21, 1978. Peter Tosh came out and played with him. I saw Bob Marley again at UCLA on Nov. 23, 1979 and then when he joined Peter Tosh at the Roxy in Los Angeles in 1979. I saw loads of great reggae artists at the Bob Marley Festivals at the Long Beach Arena which I attended for years.  In 1981, when Bob passed I took Bianca to her first concert.  A Bob Marley Memorial show at MacArthur Park.  It was a rushed affair to help the local reggae community grieve.  Wish I knew who played at that.  I could write a blog about my Bob Marley experiences!

When my daughter was young we had annual passes to Knott's Berry Farm and saw some wonderful concerts during their summer concert series.  Weird Al, Brooks & Dunn, this was one of their first shows as a band and June Carter Cash.

Ok, lets start this blog!  I will start putting the ticket stubs up and lets see what we all remember!

1 comment:

  1. the Jackson Five concert/ dinner show was in 1974 and i have rememembered it since. Just saw
    Earth Wind and Fire a couple of weeks ago and Phillip Bailey still has a great voice...

    ReplyDelete