Sunday, May 9, 2010

1989 - The Cult - Long Beach Arena

As the comments state below my memories are
from the show they did in 1987.  I do not have the
ticket stub from this show so I will leave the 
comments as is.  Thanks for the info anon!

New Year's Eve at Long Beach Arena.
Opening bands, Bonham, Dangerous Toys
and Guns and Roses.
Can you believe that? 
Guns and Roses opening for The Cult?
And what an odd set of opening bands for The Cult.
Is this a metal show?  Are The Cult a metal band?
I didn't think so.  They were a KROQ band.
It was an amazing show. 
Not necessarily for the music but for the
antics of the crowd and the bands.
Guns and Roses were really starting to take off and they
were playing to a metal crowd. 
Everyone has been watching their videos on MTV
and they are gonna be huge. 
Guess I don't have to tell you the crowd didn't
really want to see The Cult.
But they were in for a treat and they didn't even know it!
The Cult did their hits and Ian Astbury was
out there with his beautiful hair.
It was great till he decided to crowd surf
and someone stole his boots.
The Arena lights came on.  Police were called. 
And no one was leaving till he got his boots back!
One was thrown at him fairly quickly. 
The other took awhile to get back.
Ian strutted around the stage demanding that he get
his boots back and that he wouldn't
let anyone go till he did! 
It was epic!!!
Eventually it was found and given back. 
The band left the stage.
I don't remember if they came back or not. 
We eventually left to the usual Arena issue of
a rowdy crowd stirred up by the band
and a huge police presence. 
So the windows in the glass stairwells started being broken. 
(This happened a lot at shows.) 
The Arena has since learned to board up the windows
for concerts so this doesn't happen as much anymore.
Great memorable show.
Couldn't find any info on it online.  Shame really.
Hopefully one of you reading will have more to add!!
       

5 comments:

  1. After he got his boot back he asked for them to turn the sound back on and played 2 more songs! One was Born to be Wild and I can't remember the other one! Then he smashed the drum set and threw it in the crowd! And only half of the arena was there because they thought the show was over! It will always be in my top 5 concerts! I saw them the next New Years eve there, but it was not the same! Electric was one of their best albums besides Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guns N Roses opened the Sep 5 1987 show

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I had seen The Cult twice, one show I didn't have my ticket stub from. Thank you for correcting this. Figures the show I remember is the one I don't have the stub from!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They screwed up the NYE countdown, IIRC. Didn't call it at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at this show. G'n'R definitely played this NYE show with The Cult

    ReplyDelete