Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Eighties

And so they end......  The 80's.
That really was the start of my concert going.
There is really something amazing at a live show. 
The energy of the crowd, the excitement, the anticipation.
It's like a drug to me.
In some small way I understand how musicians become addicts.
They want to relive that high they get on stage. 
I want to relive the event.
It starts at the concert announcement for me. 
The ad or the radio promo. 
Then the onsale info. 
It used to be the waiting in line, getting a number or wristband 
to see where you would be placed for tickets. 
Then it got to be using the phone and then the internet.
I loved that whole camping out for tickets.  
Meeting other fans.
Everyone there for the same reason. 
Music playing.  It was so fun. 
Now we are all isolated and we have lost that bond. 
That being a fan bond.     

I have received a few comments on the price of tickets in the 80's.  
Can you believe Jane's Addiction for $10?  Unheard of!!!  
But this is just another example of the times and how they grew. 
How music became such an enormous industry.  
What was the most you ever paid for a concert? 
Just tickets. 
Not travel etc. 
Cause I have a Depeche Mode show that cost a
fortune if we want to get into that!!! 
By this time in the 80's the most I had ever paid was $96
from a ticket agency for my third row Bob Marley seat. 
I could have had a seat in the back but I wanted to be
up front at the Starlight Bowl in Burbank.  
To this day, and considering what an icon he
became, that was the bargain of the century! 
Let me know what yours was.

I have also been asked about the many Cure
and Depeche Mode shows I have been to. 
Where are those stubs? 
I have decided to make individual posts for each of them.
They have meant the most to me over the years so they deserve it!  
And well, I have to locate The Cure stubs. 
I hate moving.  I can't find anything! 
I think I have rounded up most of the DM ones. 
Now if only I can find the right box.......

Now, on to the 90's......              

1 comment: